.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I knew it would happen eventually

I took my son to vacation bible school tonight and stayed with him while he ate, as I usually do. James has been going to this same church for vbs for 3 years. We know a few people up there. So I trust him with them.

However, I am not a 'believer'. I knew sooner or later someone would ask the questions.. they came tonight.

Little old lady .. I think she might have been the first person born after the Ark landed on the mountain top. Today, she told me, was her 64th wedding anniversary.

Her: I'm (I forget) Whats your name?
Me: Red Clover
Her: Do you have a child with you?
Me: Yes, James over there (pointing to my kid helping himself to another pickle)
Her: Where do you go to church?
Me: (I HATE this question, I decided to be honest) I don't. I am not a believer, but I think it is a good idea to my son have some access to religion, so when the time comes he can think for himself and not just be a shadow of my beliefs.
Her: Oh.. oh.. (brightening) Well, I run a Sunday school class for people your age. We are very open and talk about anything that comes up. I think you'd fit right in. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

OK. I soooo had to hold myself back. I felt my lips starting to twitch as 'the question of the night' from last night came back to me. I was good. I didn't want to kill the worlds oldest lady with my weird thought.

Me: I appreciate it.

James and I went to sit down and of course she joined us. There was another lady at our table that works at ABC insurance too. She noticed my name badge and we made idle chatter.

The ancient one: Where do you live?

(MAYDAY MAYDAY!!) To give this information is just BEGGING to be woken up on Sunday for the next month as she comes by to see if you'd like to attend.

I .. uh.. well I sorta lied. I gave very vague detail and suggested I lived at mom's house.

Sigh.. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

3 Comments:

  • Now make that a million times more painful, and you have my family reunions.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 8:47 PM  

  • Now haven't I told you if you have any sort of unfortunate religious temptations that you need to go to shul?? [[Grin]]

    By Blogger Axinar, at 10:12 PM  

  • You are a funny, funny writer! Thanks for posting.

    By Blogger ~Jan, at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home