.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Friday, June 17, 2005

Only children Vs multiple children

I have two only children "sleeping" in my son's room right now. My son, an only child, and his friend, also an only child.

Randall, the other kid, lost his home to a house fire Thursday. He will be staying here with my son and me for the weekend.

Both boys are 8 years old. Both are only children. James is taller, more muscled. Randall has a wonderful functionally vocabulary and pretty good enunciation for a Georgia boy.

They are in my son's bed right now. Whispering to each other 30 mins after bedtime.

Now as to the title. The differnce...

20 mins after I told them it was bed time and put them in the bed with hugs and kisses for both, I could very clearly hearing them talking. They weren't even trying to hide the fact they weren't sleeping!

Shame, shame, shame. I actually called out to them, "If your going to ignore the fact it's bedtime, then at LEAST talk in whispers! After all, I'm not supposed to know you're not sleeping."

Instant silence (just add water)... I guess it made sense to them. I can now just barely hear a few consonants in the speech. All and all they are doing an admirable job of "sleeping".

Kids that have siblings instinctively develop the "oh hell, it's bed time, we gotta fake it" after hours bed room voice. As the oldest of five kids, I can attest to that inherent ability in kids. This is like a flashback to the days when my two oldest brothers where 9, and 8. I was 13 and "in charge" while mom worked nights. Ah the days!

2 Comments:

  • I had 4 of my own and 2 long term foster kids and short termers who came and went in a night, bed time was the time i would listen outside doors for they would tell each other things they wouldnt tell me. I could hear if they were having trouble in school etc. Poor little kid loosing his home in a fire, i hope no body was hurt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:30 AM  

  • Kids with siblings also master, "I didn't do it."

    Poor kid. I hope some things of his own survived. I went through that last year, and it really bites to have nothing familiar.

    By Blogger Justice, at 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home