.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Can you hear between the lines?

There are lots of reasons why we don’t always listen as closely as we should. Sometimes we think we know what the other party is going to say. Occasionally, we just don’t care. When it comes to significant others, I think most often it’s a combination of we think we know what you’re going to say and ‘sorry I’m only paying ½ attention because I’m doing the dishes, feeding the cat, clipping my nose hair, or vacuuming the bed (whatever) too right now.’

Recently this came to play in a few conversations I had with my beau. I present to you... He said... I heard...

He said: The last thing we need is another 5 and ½ inches of snow that is going to turn rock hard as soon as it hits the ground.

I heard: blah, blah you need blah 5 and ½ inches blah blah rock hard.
Huh what?!? Weren’t we just talking about the weather? But yeah... that I could use!

He said: You know in my head I’m still 21. So in a way dating you is like dating an older woman.

I heard: You know I’m blah blah blah dating an older woman
WTF, are you trying to tell me something? LOL You are 12 years older than ME!

------------

Now before you start to think he’s a saint and I’m a slovenly listener, please rest assured he sometimes fails to follow my zig-zagging logic. Sometimes because he didn’t hear me and sometimes it’s due to the button hook left my train of thought made.

We were talking about kids. Our kids. His daughter is 16; my son is 8, on Tuesday. Yes they share the same birthday.

We were talking about the fact it would probably be a year before we all were in the same place, maybe even a bit longer.

I blurt out... “You know… by the time I get up there.. we could be grandparents!”

(SCREEEECCHHHH CRASH) Stop the train!

WHAT? Explain yourself! he says. “Do you know something, I need to know about Right Now?”

I reassure him I am just speculating. I am not aware of any future kids, husbands or piercing that his daughter may be contemplating. But, she’d be marriageable age (or close). I could conceivably be a grandmother by the time I was *gasp* 30!! (Disclaimer: By marriage only, I am not from Alabama, Kentucky or West Virginia)

4 Comments:

  • LOL. Nice to know I'm not the only person that happens to!

    -G

    By Blogger DementedPhotographer, at 4:35 PM  

  • *hands on hips, tapping foot* whats this bout being in wv?? *raises eyebrow* thats where i'm at remember?? ROFLMAO,, cries real tears cuz my baby is 12, knowing my STEPdaughter was pregnant at 15 with her first, WAAAAHHHHHHH *HUGS*

    By Blogger reesie, at 7:04 PM  

  • *stands next to Reesie, hands on hips*

    Let's replace Kentucky with Arkansas, and West Virginia with Mississippi.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 8:40 PM  

  • Ok, now try understanding that as if you both spoke 2 languages to each other on a regular basic at any given time. Switching back and forth in the course of a conversation is a norm for us but given the subject of your post..it so totally happens between the sexes never the less lol...now throw in some totally made up words ..these seem to pop up in the maylay of tongues..oddly enough though, those, we seem to ALWAYS understand, and know what the other wanted to say...when that happens..we always end up laughing hysterically

    By Blogger Moon, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home