.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Apology

I spoke with my son's principal about the humiliating day he had at school. The principal hemmed and hawed. "It's not our intention or policy for these things to happen", "I'll make sure it won't happen again", "I'm sure she (the teacher) didn't realize it was an emergency" etc. He finally got around to "Let me take this moment to apologize to you". I pointed out that I was not the one that needed apologizing too.

He started to say that he'd make sure my son's teacher took him in the hall to apologize to him. I stopped him half way through and told him that wasn't going to cut it. I expected her to make the apology in the same place she embarrassed my son, In Front Of The Class. You see, the kids all DO know why my son left early. And so far anyway they haven't been picking on him much. However, if she's going to try to make amends I don't want it to be some pansy, out of the way, no witnesses, hushed up kinda apology.

I want the class to know she shouldn't have done what she did. That she isn't supposed to do that. That she can't do it to them either.

While talking to my beau he commented that a "public" apology may cause her to lose face, respect, authority .. whatever you want to call it.. in the kid's eyes. My simple reply? That's not my problem. A little public humility never killed anyway. I'm sure it'll be a lot less stressful for her to say "I'm sorry, I should have let you go to the restroom" than it is/will be for my son to deal with the teasing from the other kids.

5 Comments:

  • Good for you, he is lucky to have a mum that cares. I will check back to see the outcome

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:59 AM  

  • way to go... nice way to stand your ground. So did the teacher actually do it?

    By Blogger The Witch Doctor, at 11:11 AM  

  • You're absolutely right Jenn, he deserves ar least that much.

    but the million dollar question is will she actually do it?

    By Blogger Anna, at 2:21 PM  

  • I hope she does it infront of the whole class...she was just wrong..it will also be a lesson for the kids that adults can make mistakes too...

    By Blogger Moon, at 2:30 PM  

  • how long has the bathroom nazi been teaching?? (my guess is that the answer is too long, or not long enough. either way, it's time to find a new career.)

    By Blogger Musicguy, at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home