.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, December 17, 2005

It's official

my son will never make a million playing basketball. Today was his first game; we lost.

You know, I sat there with my head in my hands for much of the game thinking, "Well, at least no one has screamed Run Forrest Run!"

My son ambled up and down the court, never breaking into a run, and with a fixed puzzled expression. One that seemed to resemble a cow chewing cud that suddenly finds they are standing tit deep in a bog.. It was a classic "what the hell is going on" look.

At one point a rebound knocked him on the top of his head as he was gazing off into the distance. Then he looked around above him as if to say "I didn't know there was a bird that dropped basketball sized craps!"

Oh the apathy of it all ;)

After the game I did advise the coach that this was the first game he'd SEEN much less played in. Coach laughed and said there's always at least one kid a year that it takes a few games before they really get the idea. (Not to mention they only had one supervised practice session before today)

He has another game on Wednesday night. We discussed a few easy to understand rules of basketball on the way home. 1. Keep your eyes on the ball. 2. Protect your hoop and 3. Run Forrest RUN!

3 Comments:

  • Just remember...Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team as a sophomore. There is always hope.

    By Blogger Randall P. Floyd, at 9:17 PM  

  • My mom had a similar situation when I was a cheerleader.

    Ok, You can pick yourself up off the floor after laughing hysterically at the thought of myself as a cheerleader.

    As your son is the basketball player who doesnt run, I was the cheerleader who didnt kick.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 9:42 PM  

  • I am afraid I was another of those labeled "not good at games" in school. But I always tried, and that's the main thing. So long as he's having fun, that's the main thing Of course you know the time is coming when he finally gets the jist of the game and takes the ball down to the wrong end of the court! He shoots, he scores...for the other team ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home