.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Just because I’m a woman

Living in Georgia is sometimes a challenge for me. There is still an over riding impression that women are, if not weak, unsuited for “manly” stuff.

I once had a mechanic explain what was wrong with my car in single syllable words, and then he asked me if I needed to call my husband to get “permission” (his exact word) to have the work done. Needless to say, when I walked out he was looking a bit shell shocked. I could see him groping for the pieces of his disemboweled, and then drawn and quartered pride and ego. I doubt he will ever use the words permission, husband, and little lady again.

Today I had a flooring guy in to patch a weak spot. I could see his view of me steadily evolving as the day went by. He works in flooring full time and offered to do odd jobs for the landlords. Throughout the day he’d say things to me like “I need to run to the house and get a utility knife.” I was able to reply, “Hold on, you can use mine.” to ever item but one. I don’t have a pair of metal cutting shears. (Mental note: Damn stupid shears!)

While he was here yesterday to get measurements, I noticed water leaking from under the house. He looked into it and found a leak at the hot water heater. Thus began the “use mine” saga. “I need to go get a 5/8ths wrench“. I gave him mine. Next, he was idly wishing for pipe thread seal tape. Less than a minute later, I handed him some. He looked at me oddly.

Today I was able to provide him with: A framing hammer, a chisel and mallet, tack cloth, sandpaper and block, and a can of insulating fill foam (Great Stuff).

I think he was impressed not only by the fact I OWNED this stuff, but that I knew exactly where it was, AND it all showed signs of use.

Yesterday, right after he came over, we were talking about my kitchen floor and the fact I am going to install tongue-in-grove laminate flooring. He offered to help. I thanked him and told him I could handle it. Today… he believes it.

I’m a single mom, with power tools. And I know how to use them. (Side Note: My fiancé recently sent me a picture of his favorite china pattern. Oh yeah, my man has a china pattern. Can you feel the gender blur?) ;)

12 Comments:

  • good for you. my man can cook and sew better than me and is alwys borrowing my swiss army knife - i have got him one of his own for christmas. Forgive me if versions of this show up twice, been having problems commenting on all blogger pages today

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 AM  

  • Same here Red...in fact I recently had to purchase a new bigger tool box. Single women, with tools, who know how to use 'em. We need to form a club! LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

  • You supplied him with the tools to get the job done - the job he came there to do. As typical as that seems to be these days, a girl would think these men would have caught on by now. Personally, I favor the ones who have.

    By Blogger Justice, at 10:17 AM  

  • I've got metal cutting shears. I purchased them for one project, used them for two projects, and will probably never use them again.

    By Blogger monogodo, at 7:09 PM  

  • And they say men have all the power? Not as long as we're able to buy it! God blessed us women with a brain that works. It doesn't die from lack of blood, every a fine ass walks by. It's rumored that God only gave the human race enough blood for one head to use. This isn't just an opportunity to man-bash. it's a known fact of life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

  • I get so amused when men act like men. I usually just stand there and let them go about their business thinking I'm just a girl that needs their help. Besides, why should I have to get my hands dirty when there is a man that is willing to do it for me? I figure that God gave them that mentality to serve my purpose, might as well let them get it out of their system and feel like they did a good thing. Silly men.

    By Blogger Chris & Cheryl, at 9:31 PM  

  • I say if you have the brains and ability, more power to you. Just don't get to the point where you are too good to have a door opened for you. Some of us gentlemen out there still like to open doors for our ladies.

    By Blogger Me, at 10:11 PM  

  • And they say men have all the power? Not as long as we're able to buy it! God blessed us women with a brain that works. It doesn't die from lack of blood, every a fine ass walks by. It's rumored that God only gave the human race enough blood for one head to use. This isn't just an opportunity to man-bash. it's a known fact of life.

    If you're so sure of yourself, why are you hiding behind the cloak of anonymity? Be proud of your gender-bias. Let the world know who you are and where you stand so that men can avoid you and thus save themselves from the pain you'll assuredly inflict.

    Apologies to Red Clover. I have no intention of using your blog to argue with anyone. If Ms Anonymous would be open with her identity, I'd be more than happy to take it private.

    By Blogger monogodo, at 11:16 AM  

  • My Chris doesn't have a china pattern but he sure knows how to cook ...I think the beauty of knowledge and wanting to step out of the preverbial box of gender...makes for much more interesting ppl...and couples who have diverse interests can only compliment and enrich eachother making life far more interesting....hehe

    By Blogger Moon, at 3:39 PM  

  • Woo Hoo blog war!! No offense taken monogodo. One of the reasons I do love comments is the exchange of ideas. Some more full of BS than others. ;)

    But hey.. It’s a sign of intelligence to be able to entertain another person's thoughts, and not have to accept them.

    I can see her point. I don't agree with her .. But I can see the point.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 PM  

  • "The sign of intellectual honesty is the solicitation of opposing points of view" My fiancee' can be glib to the point of inspiring awe.
    By the way, the china pattern is on the Noritake website. The Fitzgerald pattern. It's simple, but easy to integrate into any occasion.
    I don't want to do ALL the cooking....

    By Blogger Student of Life, at 6:47 PM  

  • Geez. How often is this guy over at your house playing handy man? Either your landlord rented you a squat house or someone is playing out some delivery man/handy man sexual fantasies! You know, that's the way your housewife gals always are! (J/K by the way.) Maybe if you wear your applique bathrobe you will be able to lure him into taking a look at that squeaky headboard.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home