.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Friday, July 01, 2005

I had class

I had to take a class at work Thursday. It was Writing To Our Customers. Oh, freaking, goody!

I quickly learned it should have been titled, Writing For Dummies. We wrote sample letters requesting information from a fictional customer. The instructor called me on the following words:

    submit
    premium (used in reference to how much the policy cost)
    documentation
    indicating
She informed me that the majority of adults in the US only have, on average, an eighth grade reading level. WHAT?!? She had a copy of a newspaper article that was written about this very problem. Newspapers are having to 'dumb-down' the vocabulary.

At the end of the class everyone had to re-write one of our letters to turn in. She was not amused when I wrote a note to myself on the first draft margin.

It said:
USE REMEDIAL
ENGLISH

1 Comments:

  • have a great weekend!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home