.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Sunday, February 06, 2005

I now know how Moses felt

.. He wandered the desert for 40 years in search of the promised land, according to the Bible.

I left my house this morning at 9:30 in search of a hair cut for my son and me. I hit every strip mall in Macon. The fact that I also hit every yard sale I saw didn't have anything to do with the fact that NO salons are open on Sunday here.

In desperation I started asking women, any and all women, I came across if they knew ANYWHERE to get a hair cut on Sunday. It was then almost 2 pm. I'd used 1/2 a tank of gas in my epic like search for shears. I was despondent.

Finally at a Michaels craft store the clerk said, "Try the salon in Wal-Mart. They are open, it's where I always go" At that point I'm instantly critiquing her hair. Hmm style.. nameless. Split ends.. oh yeah, I haven't seen that many split ends since we did a group moon-ing in high school. I wasn't impressed.

I thought of 2 other strip malls and prayed to the gods of the blades a salon there would be open. Hell NO. Shit.. I was going to have to go to Walmart for a HAIRCUT.

Fine.. ok.. crap. Walmart on Sunday, at 3 pm, I'd rather wander the desert. However, I didn't have much choice since my son was starting to look like a sheep in serious need of a clipping. When we went in there was only one lady working. She'd just started doing someone's hair when we arrived.

I eavesdropped and determined the woman actually knew what she was talking about. Wow. I blatantly watched and listened as she finished up the other client. Then I made my son go first.. you know so I could back out if he ended up looking too much like Telly Savalas. She did a good job. She was very personable. She asked lots of questions to figure out exactly what I wanted for him.. and made it happen.

I let her cut my hair. It turned out very nice. I'm very pleased with it. So, if all else fails.. Try Walmart. You might get very very lucky. Or you might look like you used the flow-bee Good luck!

5 Comments:

  • Hmmmmm ... I would assume that Wal-mart would do just like anyone else and rent out the space. So, the chance for quality is about the same as Supercuts or any other chain.

    Still, would NOT have been on my list of places to look!

    -G

    By Blogger DementedPhotographer, at 11:40 PM  

  • Or you could be like me and have to cut it yourself. I am getting to be pretty good at it now. Having 4 boys and a mans to cut. LOL. I've been doing it for 12 years now. dang time passes quick.

    By Blogger rfun6, at 12:29 AM  

  • I actually went and got my hair cut on Friday - and as usual I came home saying "it'll look better once I have styled it myself". After 17 years I have yet to find a hair dresser that can cut and style the way my old hair dresser in England used to. Thankfully this old mop grows real fast, so I only have a few more days to put up with these "little girl" looking bangs.

    By Blogger JustSue, at 8:10 AM  

  • I do not envy the beauty torture you ladies go through. I am happy to cut my own hair... or what is left of it...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:22 AM  

  • So it's like a crap shoot... you may win ya may lose ?

    I hate hairdressers... I always feel like they're staring at my hair and thinking about how they want to scalp me...

    I trim my own and thats usually few and far between...

    By Blogger The Witch Doctor, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home