.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The "Klan" Story

Ok .. here's how my son almost got us killed one day.. LOL

My son has dyslexia.. something we have been working on for a long time. So, when he was learning his letters, we made a point of calling out the "Big Letter" on signs. Now I think most of you are familiar w/ K-mart. Lol, can you see where this is going?

Ok let me paint the scene.. rush hour traffic.. Macon, Georgia which has a large population of black/African American people. We are driving down the road middle of summer 2 years ago. No air in the car. Windows down.

We approach the K-mart, which is going out of business, so they have all these little signs along the road. K-mart this way! K-marts closing, save big! don't miss the K-mart sell out!.. as we pull up to a red light my son sees these three signs... all of which have BIG K's on them. Like the good, obedient, and well trained kid he is .. he cries out the 3 big letters... KKK.. O-M-F-G!!!!

This is NOT good! Right next to us .. not 8 feet away at the bus stop.. 3 very large, very (suddenly) unfriendly black men are staring at us in mingled fury and shock.. they start approaching the car.. this, my friends, is where I PANIC. I'm reaching across the car furiously rolling up the window, no power windows here!, and saying shut up, shut up , shut up!!! to my son. (something I never say, or allow to be said btw, shut up is one of my pet peeves) as one of the men reaches for the door handle I lose it and run the red light..

So, tell me again how all those "identify letters in your environment" exercises helped his dyslexia.. all they helped that day was my dry cleaner.. helped him get rich from cleaning my soiled drawers.. lol

Umm.. anyone want a kid.. I got one cheap!

2 Comments:

  • Do you think it would have worked to tell them that you just found him wandering around.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 12:45 PM  

  • Okay... I thought about it! and I still think it's stupid for anyone to take what a child says and get mad. Especially when they don't know what they might be referring to!!

    By Blogger Love, at 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home