.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Kids

I had an odd childhood in some ways. I was my father's only child, my mother's first of 5. Dad raised me so I was mostly an only child. But, my brothers and sisters have always seemed to be as much my kids as my mother's. With so many kids around at her house I really never got the chance to know my mother until I was an adult. For that matter I still call her by her given name most of the time. However, I'm wandering from the subject at hand.

Kids.. I always wanted children. I'm not a foo foo girly girl, but the maternal instinct has always been strong in me. I have a son who is now 7. He's been a never ending source of frustration, entertainment, love and motivation.

Children can bring out the good or bad in a person. I, thankfully, have been influenced very positively by my son. I can't imagine life without him.. though sometimes I try.. dear god I try lol.

James, my son, was an accident kid. Good bye sex accident kid. Nothing could have been a better accident. Given some of my medical past I was told I probably wouldn't be able to have kids. That's even more true now than it was then. So I'm thankful for him.

The innocence and frank honesty of my son still shocks me. A story that I recently told Les I'll share w/ the rest of you..

Depending on how well you know me, you may or may not know that I'm not overly religious. I don't follow any religion though I've been exposed to the majority either from family or my own curiosity. I do let my son have reasonable exposure to various religions. When he was 5 I let him attend Vacation Bible School.

Picture the scene.. We are driving in rush hour traffic to go to the store to pick up a few last minute things before heading to the church. My son and I are talking about all the odd stuff that boys like.. Bugs, motorcycles, astronauts, cloud shapes. Out of no where my 5 yr old son says "I bet Jesus is having sex with the angels"

Well, ladies and gents, I damn near rear ended the car in front of me. What did you say, I ask calmly. He repeats.. I bet Jesus is having sex with the angels in heaven. OK, so I'm struggling to hide my shock and to keep from laughing like a lunatic. We pull over in the bank parking lot.. I say, "I'm confused, what is sex?" To which he replies, that's when your really, really nice to someone.

I'm literally chewing the inside of my mouth to keep from braying wild peals of laughter at this point. I explained no thats not was sex was .. made it clear that it was a private thing between two people in love and that Jesus was NOT having sex with the angels. EVER..

All, I kept thinking on the way to VBS (while fighting back the snickers that keep rumbling up like aftershocks) was thank the gods he said it BEFORE bible school and not while he was there.

I drop him off at VBS come back home (I know the people there well and trust them). Call my dad and relate the story. We are howling with laughter long distance for at least 20 mins. Every time we'd get ourselves under control the other one would start back up. And when dad laughs you cant help but laugh with him. I think the only thing that stopped us was the ache in our stomaches.

Did I ever tell you I love being a mother?

2 Comments:

  • They do come out with some doosies don't they ;)

    By Blogger The Witch Doctor, at 1:43 PM  

  • They never cease to amaze us. The best laughs I've ever had were from the things kids say and that was definitely one of the funniest ones yet. Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Anna, at 5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home