.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Monday, February 26, 2007

Thoughts at forty-three

I celebrated my birthday today, and although far from my family, it's comforting to know that they think of me on this day. I recently received such consideration from my sister and mother, in the form of a huge box in the mail. It had cookies, presents, and books to denote my getting a year older.

I also received the standard morbid e-card from my best friend; A Grim Reaper holding a piece of birthday cake, bless his heart. The cake looked remarkably like the cheese cake that I got at the local restaurant where I enjoyed a quiet dinner tonight.

Despite the distance from those I love, especially the wife and son, and daughter whose best wishes tonight I cherish most, I am not feeling discontented like I usually do with birthdays. I feel remarkably lucky. A wife who loves me. A new son with whom I look forward to getting to know. A family who thinks of me on this day. A daughter, who's success at school, work, and life makes me so proud. That, and the fact that despite being more absent then I should have been, MY GIRL still talks to me, and says I love you. I'm proud of you, Nikita, and bless your very presense in the world. Your success and love are a wonderful present. To my wife, I miss you, and look forward to you being here with our son.

Fine birthday gifts, indeed.

5 Comments:

  • Happy birthday Les!

    *hugs*

    By Blogger Anna, at 2:39 AM  

  • Thanks, Anna. And a fine reminder that there are folks that we've not talked to in a while, and should. Sorry about that. For the record, when you reach my age, you have the face you deserve, or so the saying goes. Damn I'm lucky!!!

    By Blogger Student of Life, at 2:48 AM  

  • Thank-you Dad. *smiles*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 AM  

  • WHAT A DUMBASS .. lol...you enjoy making me cry @5:30 in the morning..Nikita is a great kid and even tho you are not here you are still continue play a very important role in her life..and have been there when she needs you whether in person or on the phone or computer.. staying in touch on a weekly..sometimes daily basis shows the kids both of them how much you care..and on that note ..thank you as well for being here..physically and in the heart of my son Jamie as well..both the kids love you Les and your being away doesnt change that.. i appreciate how my son is treated as one of the FAMILY from all of your relations..your a good man Les..and James (Just to confuse people..Jamie is my son..james is Jenn's son..Kita has 2 brothers named James)..is lucky to have you as a step father..
    all of our love to you today tomorrow and always..
    your loving EX-wife..Pam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 AM  

  • BONNE FÊTE MY FRIEND!! I should have known, yours is so close to mine (yes, I know I am a yr older then u..something u love to remind me of ya goober..took yur thunder away haha)

    I am a few days late but better late then never!! I wish u had been with everyone u hold dear for your bday but as u were not, I am glad u were able to appreciate all their love regardless.

    Chris and I send ours aswell my friend...hugs and kisses.

    By Blogger Moon, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home