.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I've been sewing.. or trying to

I've now been out of work for THREE weeks with a shoulder injury. I had to find something to do or I was going to kill someone.

So.. I started sewing. I'd recently gotten a small sewing machine for hemming and small repairs. I went to malwart (your source for cheap plastic crap!) and bought some $1 a yard fabric.

My first project was a bathrobe. I was ginourmous. I was thinking.. "you know, I'm pretty sure I told her I did NOT want the sew-your-own-burial-shroud kit". I gave it to my cousin when it was done. He likes it.

Next a little something for when my beau and I see each other again.. turned out really well!

Then I tried to make (key word: Tried) a pair of slacks... oh the shame... Once I'd ripped the seams out and corrected them they no longer fit me. Oh I could get them ON, but shortly the police showed up and advised me I'd committed a crime against humanity and if I ever wore them again I'd be going downtown.

I'm going to give them to mom. They are a really nice pair of dress slacks.

Then I made a really "June Cleaver" apron, just to mess w/ my beaus head lol

Last but not least... hahahahaha Since I have breasts bigger than an olive pit view B was a joke. If I'd sewn both the "cups" together it might have held one breast. And I'm only a C /D- cup size My beau got a really good laugh out of me trying to pack 10 lbs of boob into a 2 lb top piece ;)

I ended up making major "design changes" (read that: I screwed up big time when I cut the alternate top). Well.. after the view B cup fiasco I was on the phone w/ my mother while I was cutting the view D top portion. She was asking me to make her a dress and we were talking about her size.. a 16.. and well.. I uh.. sorta .. cut it out as a 16.

So I had a 16 top, 20 bottom and no more teal fabric. I kicked around the idea of taking the whole thing into the yard and setting it ablaze until I remembered knits don’t burn very well. Since, I had already used all of my cursing vocabulary in new and spectacular combinations when realizing I'd cut it out the wrong size I figured I'd try to salvage it.

I cut 2 3 inch strips of the sheer sleeve material, and underlined it with a almost matching blue knit. I liked the look of it so much I decided to make a one inch "waistband" to match. .... See.. they weren't screw-up fixes.. they were design elements waiting to happen ;)

I didn't turn out too badly!

6 Comments:

  • That blouse actually looks pretty darn good.

    Keep up the good work hon, hope you get to feeling better soon though.

    *hugs*

    By Blogger Anna, at 3:08 PM  

  • Yeah, what anna said...looks good...hows the shoulder? Hope your feeling better...enough to um, how can I put this nicely....to back away from the sewing machine once in awhile and BLOG!! more often that is lol

    By Blogger Moon, at 9:19 PM  

  • okay...... without appearing to rude, what is the pink thing in the picture? At least you seem to be having fun! Hope you are better soon. Have a great weekend

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 AM  

  • Not rude at all.. the pink thing is my miserably failed first attempt at pants!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

  • I dont know, maybe you can turn the pink pants around, after all alot of people wear the crotch's down to their knees.

    I do really love the top!!


    Also, I know I really love pink, but dont be sending them to me for a birthday present.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 10:06 PM  

  • I can't sew to save my life. It's a miracle I can manage a button ....and God invented iron-on Wonderweb just for fools like me who refuse to hem.

    My hat's off to ya girlie!

    By Blogger JustSue, at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home