.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Overheard at the Doc-in-the-box

My cousin Chris was feeling poorly on Saturday night and we decided if he wasn't much better by Sunday that I would take him to the MedCenter Urgent Care facility aka the doc-in-the-box. It's basically a satellite location of the hospital that treats walk in cases that aren't quite emergencies.

We arrived at 2pm. We watched an entire Lifetime network movie about a possessed infant/sibling.. It was weird.

We started looking around and doing the "who all is together" groupings to try and figure out how many people were ahead of us. On one couch 4 women were smashed in next to each other. Since there was plenty of available seating they count as 1 patient, etc and so on.

At this point one woman, who probably owned Nascar commemorative plates based on how she dressed, says loudly "Oh I know about pain. I have seven tattoos!"

Not, I have seven kids, not even seven kidney stones, seven TATTOOs. Chris and I look at each other and do our best to quietly laugh our asses off. A few minutes later she says "I have a dragon on my groin" .. Oh yeah, we were cracking up. The oddest thing, the tattoos had nothing whatsoever to do with what the other 3 women were talking about.

Then they called her name and she went to the back. The funniest part? She wasn't with those other women. Didn't even know them, and yet she squeezed herself in next to them. It's not like there was a shortage of seating.. oh well takes all kinds, I guess.

So, 6 hours , Chris and I having renamed the center the MedCenter Eventually Care Center, and a $500 bill later.. Chris did NOT have strep throat. He has some kind of (most likely) staph infection.

1 Comments:

  • I took my then-fiance (now wife) to one of those once when she had something in her eye. We were seen in less than 5 minutes, even though there were people in the waiting room who'd been waiting for a while. She'd called ahead, and had insurance, that may have had something to do with it.

    By Blogger monogodo, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home