.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Lie Dot

One of the standard issue super mommy powers is the ability to tell when your child is lying to you. The power manifests itself in different ways depending on the woman. For me, it’s the lie dot.

My son has a small place on his forehead that turns red and starts to glow when he lies to me. Only I, of course, can see the lie dot. I mean, after all, it is MY super mommy power.

James is still at the age, barely, where I am still more or less a Goddess in his eyes. I can still fix hurts, answer questions, cook the ‘best-est dinner’ and come up with fun ideas at the drop of a hat. He believes in the power of the lie dot. When he starts to stray from the truth he will:

1. Turn away so he’s not facing me directly,
2. Start rubbing his nose, fiddling with his hair, scratching his face, anything to cover his forehead,
3. Wait until I’m washing dishes or changing the laundry over or doing something that will prevent me from looking at him too closely.
4. Answer my questions with “I don’t know”. ‘I don’t know’ is the only weakness of the lie dot, grrr...

He has learned the futility of trying to lie to me. Now he just tells the truth, even if it means he’ll get in a bit of trouble.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home