.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Monday, May 02, 2005

Serious Problem


trapped-cat
Originally uploaded by red clover.
Ok. Now I know people feel strongly about animals. Let me stress I do too. But, I'm soliciting opinions. Constructive opinions!

I have a problem with wild cats around my house. In total there are 5 or 6 that I see consistently. Now that it's warmed up some I often crack my sliding glass door to let in fresh air.

My cat, Luna, went into the yard and was attacked by a cat. She is injured fairly seriously. Nothing that I don't think she will recover from (thank god).

I've had Luna aka Luna-tic aka Luna Tuna for 12 years. She is very very dear to me. She almost died last year from a blood borne pathogen she caught from a fight with a cat or possum. I was an emotional wreck until we figured out what was wrong and got her well again. Anyway!

The pound will loan me a cat trap. But.. what do I do with the cats after I catch them is my dilemma.

The pound offered me 2 options. Bring the cats in and they will charge me $10 per cat to accept them. They will then be put to sleep. The other "helpful" option they gave me was the ever popular "pet relocation program".

Simply put.. take them somewhere else and drop them off. I was surprised, to say the least, that the lady at the pound would even utter those words. But those are my 2 options.

I really don't have the money to take them to the pound to be euthanized, nor do I want to release them in another neighborhood putting other animals at risk..

So.. any ideas?

3 Comments:

  • Know anyone who owns a chinese restaurant? Okay, I'm just kidding.

    I am surprised that she even suggested the relocation program.

    Are there any rescue programs that might take them?

    -G

    By Blogger DementedPhotographer, at 5:34 PM  

  • it don't surprise me at all. I called about this dog the kids brought home with the mange. the dog not the kids. anyway, they said I wasn't in their county and if I was it would cost me 30 dollars for them to take the dog. They said my best bet was to put ad in paper and have someone else give it home. But we can't even catch it. It is wild like and lives under our house and walks the whole neighbor hood. If I can catch it, then it is country bound. It can run and live free there. Otherwise it is living under my house. So I would say catch them and relocate them to a country enviroment. (however you spell it) ...:)

    By Blogger rfun6, at 10:19 PM  

  • you sure it's a cat? it could be one of the minions of the anti-christ...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home