.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Monday, April 04, 2005

Weird thought #47

Can a cat get a yeast infection?

----------

My cat is on antibiotics. As I was wrestling my cat to the floor giving my beloved cat her pill the above thought occurred to me. She is female. She has a lee-lee (my mother's childhood word for vagina). Can she get a yeast infection?

In human women there is a delicate balance of bacteria and yeast cells in a healthy vagina. When we take antibiotics it often kills off this good bacteria, along with the 'bad' bacteria it was meant for.

This allows the yeast cells to stage a coup of the vagina. Resulting in .. cottage cheese like discharge, itching, and sometimes a less than spring fresh smell. Of course saying 'itching' seems innocuous. That's like calling an 5 megaton Atomic bomb a firework.

Still... It made me wonder... Is my cat fighting the pill because it's a pill.. or because of the yeasty-beasties?

3 Comments:

  • uhmmmmmm ... I think I can honestly say that's not a question I have ever pondered. ;)

    -G

    By Blogger DementedPhotographer, at 10:27 PM  

  • Actually i think its possible that they can get them. I know that pugs and other dogs can get them,(i read it on the Pug rescue site) so why couldnt a cat?

    By Blogger Amanda, at 9:10 PM  

  • I get a damn yeast infection when ever I take an antibiotic. I think they ought to give women a free yeast med. when they give them an antibiotic. Its just natural, the two should be together. But I think it should be free.

    By Blogger rfun6, at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home