.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Gmac loves you….

As long as you’re in India.

*sigh* I work for one of the largest insurance companies in the country. I’m on the phone verifying coverage for lienholders/finance/leasing companies almost 8 hours a day. So, if you’re insurance lapses and the finance company repos your car. It was me that told them you didn’t renew.

As a result I speak to a lot of people every day. On average 40 – 100 people calling to make sure you still have insurance. My calls usually last less than 3 minutes. Until….
GMAC decided to out source their insurance verification department to India. Now a GMAC call can take 20 – 30 minutes. Why? Because they don’t understand English!

Not only have a lot of people that I have known for the last 3 years lost their jobs... but their replacements don’t understand the questions they are asking... or the answers they are getting. It’s disappointing.

India: Is gmac the loss payee?
Me: No, sir we can not add Gmac as loss payee. The policy does not have physical damage coverage.
India: No loss payee?
Me: No, we will not pay for a loss. No coverage for auto damage.
India: gmac?
Me: No. No coverage for damage. No coverage for Gmac.
India: No cover?
Me: (sweet lord make it stop!) No sir, no coverage. (Lather, rinse, repeat. This can go on for 15 to 20 minutes.)

To make matters worse, they don’t use their real names. They adopt a name, I’ve talked with: Chris, Matt, Alex, Suzy, Jessica, Sarah, Todd, Bobby, Mary etc. I’ve had them change names in the middle of the call. This makes any accountability impossible.

Thanks, GMAC. I hope the profits are worth it.

7 Comments:

  • yeah pretty much what happens is when a call centre opens up in a different country like that they hand the emloyees a list of "American" names and say "here pick one and this is who you are on the phone"
    Nice eh?

    By Blogger The Witch Doctor, at 2:21 AM  

  • I ran into the same problem with Travelocity. They may be able to *speak* English, but they certainly don't *understand* the language (and I'm sure regional dialects don't help a bit, either). When I detect that I'm in such a situation, I've started immediately asking for a supervisor and keep working up the chain of command until I find someone physically in the US or Canada. I don't tend to be nice. And I make SURE they lose money on the call.

    -G

    By Blogger DementedPhotographer, at 8:31 AM  

  • That in a nutshell is a huge part of the problem with opening a call center elsewhere.

    I understand the "they will work for pennies a day" argument (not that GMAC will lower their rates, but their senior management can pocket the difference in bonuses). Okay, that's fine. Rip everyone off, that's your plan.

    But the whole idea of customer service goes out the window. You can bet they are losing customers right and left.

    Grr.

    By Blogger Silly Old Bear, at 9:51 AM  

  • I have to agree with all of the above...why haven't companys figured out in the short term they may save a few bucks but the long term ends up losing costumers ...then they start going downhill from there...eventually losing money untill they keep cutting corners and the downfall of yet another company begins..more jobs lost..capitalism at its best...greed concors all....(could someone help me off this soap box? seems to have gotten awefull high lol)

    By Blogger Moon, at 12:06 PM  

  • Now this is what I'm talking about. The rich get rich and us poor well, we never get anywhere. I say wwe should revolt. Or something. Heck, I know I'm prejudiced now. I won't go to a doctor inless he can speak good english. !!!

    By Blogger rfun6, at 2:18 PM  

  • Am I the only one who burst out laughing upon read the conversation above?

    Back to collecting my pieces from the burst.

    By Blogger Pierce Ranger, at 5:41 PM  

  • Hi! Just wanted to let you know Unapologetically Neurotic moved to http://justiceday.blogspot.com

    Sorry for the inconvenience!

    By Blogger Justice, at 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home