.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Skating for Literacy

I am thrilled to report that the bribery is working. My son has moved up 2 reading levels in 2 weeks. As a result, we went skating last weekend and will be going this weekend. (On a side note: I did not bust my butt this time. Woo Hoo)

It’s funny how this has worked far, far better than all my “I’m so proud of you”s, “You’re doing GREAT”s and all that (honest) praise. So much for kids desiring their parent’s approval and praise. At least I haven’t stooped to bribing with money. The skating is, thankfully, something we can do as a ‘mom and me’ activity, and is exercise.

I’m happy that he is not arguing as much when it comes time to read at night. If he continues through one level every week, even one every two weeks, he should be close enough to promotion requirement for them to advance him. So, $8 a week for skating is a small price to pay.

We’ve jacked reading to a new level in our house to facilitate his progress. All told, we spend almost 2 hours a night reading formal books/homework. If we do anything that involves instructions, he has to read them too me as best he can.

Thank the Gods I have some common sense. I'm sure our cupcakes would have been pretty unusual had I added the 2 cups of floor, as he told me too.

__
Sister update... Jessica tried to slit her wrists. The damage done was not bad. Her father and bf didn't even take her to the hospital (WHAT!). Unfortunately due to the fact she is over 21 only her father and mother, both of them, can commit her to a drug/alcohol/psychiatric center. And, sadly, they won't do that. So, I just hope and pray... I think she'll pull out of this.

2 Comments:

  • Your sister is in my prayers.

    I admire your campaign of bribery, my parents should have done that concerning math.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 11:39 PM  

  • 2 cups of floor - difficult to find in the store, I'm guessing! Thanks, that had me laughing for a while.

    Glad to hear the skating adventures are resulting in more motivation and seemingly more importantly, less bruising. :)

    By Blogger Kirsten, at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home