.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Steak-N-Shake ponderings.

My cousin, Chris, and I stopped in at Steak-N-Shake for a bite to eat recently. Chris and I have the same sense of humor, sardonic, often sarcastic, and very Seinfield-ish.

We were waiting for our food when we noticed the paper placemats had some odd slogans.

One had a picture of a milkshake with the caption “That’s Us!” Ok, no problem I get it.
Another was a bottle of hot peppers with the caption “That’s Us, too” Gotcha; they always have a bottle of peppers on the table.
There was a picture of a steakburger. (That’s soo Us.) Self explanatory.
Then... there was the picture of the spatula. (Us! With a handle!)

Chris and I look up and catch each other’s quizzical expression at the same time. He says, “I don’t get it either. If you figure it out let me know.”

Me: Us with a HANDLE? Don’t spatulas usually have handles?
Chris: Last time I checked they did. After all without a handle it’s just a Spu...
Me: It’s not even a ‘spu’. If there’s no handle it’s just a really small cookie sheet, or a metal coaster.
Chris: I bet the first guy to cook a burger thought “you know this would be so much easier if this little square of metal wasn’t burning the crap outta me. I know! I’ll add a handle! Look honey, I just invented a spatula”

At this time we got our chili, and it effectively put a halt to our “WTF” diatribe about spatulas (Us! With a handle!).

Some days are better than others at Steak-N-Shake. Mmmm, I’m happy to say it was a good day that day. The chili was ‘slap ya momma’ good.

Chris: Why do they call this Steak-N-Shake? When I mention it to people the first thing they think of is how good the chili is.
Me: Because Chili-N-Shake sounds like an unpleasant medical condition.

I nearly got sprayed in the face by his half chewed chili as a result of that piece of wit.

I love Chris. We really have to get back into the habit of spending one day a week together. He keeps my sarcasm sharpened and is the other half of the “dynamic duo” as the family refers to us.

7 Comments:

  • Sounds like a fun night out! Either that or like my Mom used to say, an embarrassing fun time!!

    By Blogger Love, at 10:51 PM  

  • Steak N Shake is one of my favorite hamburger joints. However, those posters of half/half milkshakes kind of gross me out. I don't like my flavors touchin' each other. That's not us. Oh yes, I like your blog and will come back soon. The end.

    By Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one), at 12:18 AM  

  • You could use a little sarcasm and humor right now. I'm glad you had a fun night. :)

    I've never heard of Steak-N-Shake before. I suddenly have the urge to experience one.....

    By Blogger smizzo, at 1:34 AM  

  • Mmm, half chocolate/half vanilla milkshake and chili sounds so good right now. Extra cheese and onions please.

    By Blogger Anna, at 5:03 AM  

  • In my grandmother's time it was called a pancake turner. I wonder why they called it a turner instead of a flipper?

    ~Genuine

    www.genuineblog.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

  • *le sigh* I want Steak-n-Shake, now! But I'm stuck in Virginia where they don't have such things. You're making me homesick (Illinois).

    By Blogger Meg:, at 3:08 PM  

  • Sounds like you had a great time. I couldn't help but picture Jerry and Elaine (Seinfield) when I read your post.

    Great site :)

    By Blogger Amelia, at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home