.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Skating is healthy?

I took my son to a birthday party yesterday. It was at a skating rink. Before we left the house I called to make sure the heath insurance was paid up to date. James had never skated before, and I haven't in almost 15 years.

Even as a kid I could never roller skate well. I have a middle ear birth defect that causes my sense of balance to be a bit off. However, James was foaming at the mouth to go. I figured it would be good for him since the last month has been not been a time of fun or cheer.

So, off we go. I defy death to cross 3 lanes of traffic to a turn lane after I missed the damn rink on the first pass. Doing a U-turn was fun. Oh boy, we are off to a great start already!

Ok, we find the rink, park, go inside, hunt down the birthday boy in the crowd of screaming prepubescent kids, apologize to the mom for not RSVP'ing since I was out of town when James was invited, then make our way to the counter of broken bones.. uh I mean the skate check out counter. Yeah, that's it. Uh huh.

I hand over my son's size 4 sneakers and get a size 4 pair of 'hi, Dr. Jackson, I figured you hadn't stitched him up, or put a cast on him in over 4 months and I was thinking I really needed to give you another co-pay this year' skates in return.

As I laced my son into his very first pair of roller skates, the smell and sounds of the rink took me back to my younger days. Days of bruises, fun, and greasy food goodness. They say the Gods watch out for drunks and children so I said a quick generic prayer as I helped him stand up on the skates for the first time.

For the next 1/2 hour my right arm was repeatedly given the snatch and jerk treatment. You know a 73 lb kid can damn near pull off your arm if you're not paying attention. He finally got used to them and could skate about 6 feet without falling when he started badgering me to get skates.

Ok, Ok, Ok... I got my skates and started mumbling inarticulate pleas of mercy to any and all deities that may have been watching. I'm proud to say I only fell on my ass once (on my own anyway). After I got steady enough to leave the 'kiddy rink' (oh the shame) James and I headed out to the real rink. There he fell and then pulled me down at least 3 more times.

We had a great time. We didn't have to go see Dr. Jackson. But, I think I broke my ass in 6 places. And, my right arm is seriously strained. I can't raise it above shoulder level. James had fun, I had fun. We're going to go back each time he progresses through a reading level in his class. Yes, it's bribery.. but fun bribery.

4 Comments:

  • ...and I bet the smiles, laughs and fun you both had all afternoon were the best tonics anyone (including Dr. Johnson) could prescribe for you both at this time.

    By Blogger JustSue, at 11:45 PM  

  • Last time i went skating was 5 years ago, never made it off the kiddie rink, and even then i had permanently latched myself to my friend david. Fat girls were not meant to be on wheels.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 12:53 AM  

  • Sounds like you both had a great time. Your butt should be ok by the next visit to the rink ;).

    By Blogger Anna, at 10:01 AM  

  • Ahh the memories...I grew up ice skating , we were at the rink every weekend, my dad grew up playing hockey so he was an excellent skater and he would pull us around the rink going really really fast as he skated BACKWARDS doing it. I put on a pair of skates 5 years ago to skate gorgeous frozen river path. Was perfectly maintained, had benches set up along the way with small resturants set up along the river ,,,well known spot...looking so forward to it..took the 3 steps down onto the ice to begin but foot slipped (duh) and flew up, making me land like charley chaplin on my BIG POSTERIOR... rubbed my ass and preceeded to have a nice enough day..3 days later I couldnt walk lol...when I fell I hit so hard I tilted one side of my pelvis bone forward wich then made my back go wack within 3 days , had to see a Ostiopath to fix me up.......haven't been on blades or rollers or any type of moving feet aperatus since lol.........damn this was longer then I thought it would be lol sowwy............love ya , hugs

    By Blogger Moon, at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home