.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Sanity spill, clean up on aisle 3

Cleanup on aisle 3...

My mother called and left a message just as I was walking out the door. My sister tried (unsuccessfully) to commit suicide.

Once I got to work I called Chris and asked him to call around, find out what is going on and call me back. I knew if I’d called mom right then I’d be involved in an hour long call and quite possibly lose my job.

Chris called back. “She tried to slit her wrists a few days ago. She is not in any physical danger at this time. Her father reports she is still drinking and doing various drugs. Guilt is a major problem for her, resulting from John’s death (a little more than 2 weeks ago). There is nothing you (I) can do right now that will help, stay at work.” Gotcha... Thanks Chris.

A few quick questions and answers to fill in basic info about where she is now, and if she needed hospitalization and we were off the phone.

I do appreciate the fact that Chris can give me the Reader’s Digest version of a possible family emergency. Had I tried to call my mother, it would have been 45 mins of disjointed, undoubtedly dubious information.

Needless to say I’ll be calling her tonight. Chris will, too. Hopefully, we can get through to her. I don’t know if I could deal with losing another sibling. Ok... I could... But, at what cost?

2 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear that hun...
    I know you had even mentioned the thought about it in another post and all I could think was "gawd I hope she doesn't"

    By Blogger The Witch Doctor, at 11:02 PM  

  • Jenn,

    Hon,this seems to be more than you guys can probably handle alone. I would suggest admitting her against her will if you have to for her own protection. I think you only need two family members to sign and agree to have that done.

    The losses your family have suffered this past month have been great. I will keep you all in my prayers. *hugs*

    By Blogger Anna, at 3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home