.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Monday, November 29, 2004

Marriage Material

A friend of mine recently went into the “I'm not the marrying kind” mode, which made me laugh my ass off. My mother has always said I’d never get married.

When I ask her why she says that I always get one of two replies:

1. You’re not feminine enough

2. You’re too stubborn/strong willed/dominate or any other word that would flatter a man but makes me a bull dyke

My response to this.. usually laughter or a flap of the hand.

I always secretly think “yeah but Aunt Joyce is married. And I think a bull mastiff on steroids is more feminine than aunt Joyce (probably better looking too). Uncle Dale, while never seeming to cower before her, certainly looks to her for approval, much like a boot licking dog will look over at his owner.

Now peachy’s problem is different. All the women in her family, including ones just about to step onto the red carpet of love, have told her in urgent whispers to “never get married”. That is odd…

But you know.. I’ve finally claimed a man as my husband, several times, in front of witnesses, even. If I was a daughter of the Nine Moons, he’d be mine.

Look ma .. no hands! Oh wait.. only men are supposed to write their names in the snow. Ok ma, maybe you’re right. I’m not the most feminine woman out there. But some one loves me just as I am.

3 Comments:

  • I love this post! Found you through blog explosion. This is so funny, and so true. Bah! to all who think only "certain" types of marrying "kinds" end up happy :)

    wavybrains

    www.wavybrains.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 PM  

  • I deal with psychos.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 11:01 PM  

  • LOL. You're not feminine enough, huh? Funny, couldn't tell from here. ;)

    -G

    By Blogger DementedPhotographer, at 12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home