.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The perils of napping.

I was tired today at work. Really tired. So I came home and laid down on the sofa after I'd changed into my please-don't-let-anyone-I-know-see-me-wearing-this house clothes and helped the kid w/ homework.

It was blissful. The cool temperature, the quiet, and the snuggly fuzziness of my sofa blanket quickly pulled me into a deep and dreamless sleep.

The only bad thing about napping is I often wake disoriented and today was no exception. I woke as it was starting to get dusk, in my confused state I looked at the clock and thought Holy shit! I'm going to be late for work!!! I enter emergency mode. Running around putting on my clothes, looking for my missing stocking, putting on deodorant and brushing my hair at the same time. As I grab my keys and run out the door the peculiar quality of the light strikes me.

You know.. this doesn't look like morning light.. this looks like.. evening light. Truth dawns on me, much like the setting of the sun. Damn it!

I'm back in my house dress. Drinking a leisurely cup of coffee and calling myself an idiot.

Beep Beep Beep.... Beep Beep Beep.. This is a test. This has only been a test. Had this been a real morning you would have made it to work on time. This concludes our test of the emergency deployment system for Red. Thank you. Beep Beep Beep.

The bad news. One stocking was much darker than the other lol.

3 Comments:

  • smoooooth

    By Blogger Amanda, at 1:23 AM  

  • I laugh only because I have done the exact same thing.

    By Blogger JustSue, at 12:43 PM  

  • Aah.. I can almost feel the relief and joy when you find the workday is a little further away.. like finding an unexpected $20 bill in your pocket.

    By Blogger Pierce Ranger, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home