.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Meet the parents

I was a bit apprehensive about meeting the assorted family while I was there. I adjust to situations well and get along with just about everyone. Usually… I say usually because there was a fair amount of animosity toward me from the matriarch of the family. (Or so I’ve heard from several sources.)

I can easily establish my own reputation and first impression. I was afraid I’d be fighting a character that I’d “earned” only by the circumstances of our relationship, one I’d never even given. Thankfully, that didn’t seem to be the case.

Les and I drove up to meet the family one afternoon around lunchtime. I met one of his sisters, his mother and father. Mom was kind, curious, and polite. So were his sister and father, for that matter. Les had told me that his family was not one to be rude to ‘strangers’, and I’m thrilled to say he was right. Mom invited us to Sunday dinner, which we accepted. After a bit more chit chat and Q&A we had to leave.

Oddly, or maybe not, the one family member that seems to resent me, came home while I was there for the visit and disappeared inside before I had a chance to meet her. C’est la vie. I can not change a person’s nature or a person’s mind. It annoys me that she makes (made) assumptions without meeting me, however.

On the way home, a.k.a. Rm 107 (sigh), we remembered that he would be working Sunday, so the family dinner didn’t seem likely. I experienced equal amounts of disappointment and relief at this news.

I did meet the rest of his family later. His brother (swhee, swhee private joke I’ll fill ya in when I continue this), brothers GF, and THE sister, those details are a few posts away however.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home