.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Are you done yet?

Maybe I'm just a magnet to life's little oddities. I've come to the conclusion that MUST be so.

Yesterday at work I was sitting there minding my own business when a female co-worker approaches me and asks "Are you done yet?" in a low voice.

I look up at her quizzically. I couldn't think of anything in particular I was supposed to be doing. Hmm did I miss an email? Is there some obscure task I should be doing: translating ancient Sumerian, formulating a plan for world peace, maybe determining the number of paper clips needed to fashion a detailed scale model of the Leaning tower of Pisa? My befuddled look and eloquent reply of "uhh what?" had the desired effect.

She leans in and says in a conspiratorial whisper (and I quote) Are you done with your period? I think I might be late, and I know I start a day or two after you stop.

Ok stop the presses, time out! A few thoughts passed rapid fire through my mind
1. I don't know this chick that well. How the HELL does she know I'm on my cycle?
2. Who asks a coworker a question like that?
3. How do you really reply to that question?
4. Dear god, please let her start! I'm going broke chipping in for baby shower, bridal shower, and birthday presents as it is. Not another one, PLEASE!

After my look of stunned amazement faded, I leaned over and said No, You've got another 3 or 4 days, if your time table is correct.

She gave me a bright happy smile, clearly relieved by the news that I'm still bleeding like a stuck pig. She all but skipped back to her desk.

This is the FIRST time a WOMAN has ever been in a panic over MY period. And that's all I have to say about that. Period.

3 Comments:

  • Never had to deal with such a question, but I would have told her that I got done last week... let her freak out for a few days while I enjoy the daily drama with a bowl of popcorn in my lap.

    By Blogger Pierce Ranger, at 4:29 AM  

  • My response would have been,"damn you are late, i havent had one in 2 years".....

    By Blogger Amanda, at 1:56 PM  

  • oh god that's funny. Her asking and your response.

    You females are an odd bunch, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

    By Blogger Silly Old Bear, at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home