.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

The Ex and the Kids

I knew Les’ exwife from chat long before I began chatting w/ him. I’m ecstatic to say she is just as friendly, funny and personable in real life as online. I had a great time hanging out with her and the kids.

It had the potential to be a very odd situation, you have to admit. Thankfully, they have been apart a long time, get along well, and both readily admit the other person is great. They just are not the right people for each other. The situation that usually makes girlfriends cringe (meeting the ex wife) went painlessly for me.

She has 2 children, both extraordinary in their own way. Her son is a bit older than mine and incredibly knowledge hungry. I adored him. He asked great questions for a child of his age. We discussed Salvador Dali, MC Escher, perception vs. reality, optical illusions, the role of predators and prey in population control, US and Canadian government. Input, Input, Input! It was wonderful.

I found out he likes foreign currency, and I happened to have various currencies from all over the world with me in my geocaching stuff (internet scavenger hunt of sorts). I earned myself a sweet lil boy hug for the 5 or 6 coins I was able to add to his collection. (And truth to tell I enjoyed those hugs. I was missing MY little boy by then.)

Their daughter is a beautiful young woman going thru the usual things teens do. While Les was working I’d go to their house and hang out with them. One fateful evening I showed up during a boyfriend crisis to find Niki crying and upset. Mom was comforting her. As I walked in Pam said “oh look here’s another mom for you to hug” So, she was book ended by sympathetic ‘mother’ figures.

I took her out for ice-cream after we stopped in and saw Les for a few minutes. He didn’t have a clue what was going on and I didn’t have a chance to tell him. We left him thoroughly confused and headed out to DQ. While we were eating we talked about my son, her dad, etc. I made the comment that I was the oldest of 5 kids so I always knew I only wanted one or two. To which she replied “well, I can be your 2nd child”. I joked that would be perfect, no diapers to change, no bottle feeding, she’s 2/3s raised already! Yay lol.

We talked for a bit more. When she was feeling better we went back to her house. Mom, Niki and I were sitting around talking and I mentioned if she was older we’d probably have a bottle of wine, sit around talking about how he was scum, she was a goddess, how dare he not kneel at her feet etc. “Can we do that anyway” she asks. Mom and I laugh.

I could just imagine the look on Les’ face if I called to tell him he’d have to walk to where I was since his ex, his daughter, and I were busy drinking... LMAO. I told them about that mental image and we all laughed like hell. Can you say ballistic?

After I picked him up and told him what was going on, he thanked me for taking her out. Da Nada, to steal a phrase from him. I would have done it for anyone. I did tell him about the wine comment and he said “I thought that’s what Hagen Dauze was for.” Why do you think I took her to DQ? I replied, hand on his thigh as we headed home for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home