.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Sunday, May 06, 2007

The End of an Era

It's official. I have moved to my mother's to wait out my last 6 weeks in the US.

I lived for 9 years, and all of my son's life (that he can remember anyway) at my last address. Before I closed the door for the last time I walked through empty rooms, and I did feel the weight of all those years. However, I wasn't melancholy, or even terribly upset to leave it behind.

My thought: I've lived here 9 years. And now I'm leaving to start the rest of my life.

Since I'm moving to Canada I've either given away, donated, or thrown away 90% of everything my son and I owned. It was incredibly liberating to look around and think, "Ah Screw IT!" and toss it in either a box or garbage bag.

You quickly realize how little of the "stuff" you have in your home really means anything, or matters in the long run. For me the vast majority of my stuff was only there out of habit. I found things I didn't even remember ever owning!

5 Comments:

  • It may be liberating, but I would feel disconnected to some extent after that period of time. All things considered, there ARE precious few things I would keep. Pictures of my family, especially my daughter and her brother. The table my brother hand-made just for me when I was divorced from my first wife. The ink drawing of the mountain above my home town, which was made by the artist father of my best friend. Some of the gifts my sister sent with me here in Yellowknife. The drawings my daughter made when very young.

    That being said, all in all, the things I'd keep would be able to be packed in a midsized car. Sound familiar?

    By Blogger Student of Life, at 2:11 AM  

  • Whoo hoo he time is finally drawing near!
    I know what u mean about *things* we acumulae so much and need very little really. Now I just feel like purging some closets lol.

    By Blogger Moon, at 3:56 PM  

  • Happy Mother's Day, Red!

    By Blogger Justice, at 4:06 AM  

  • Best of Luck, even though words are not enough to express the change of expression and the attitude needed to approach life, this is not a beginning for you but a realization of where you should have been all along, As if you would ever be forgotten of the best times and even some of the most confused times of what was only a brief period, I say where's my defunkdefier to bring freshness to what was a long night, Adieu Adieu.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 AM  

  • You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    skip bin hire Brisbane
    skip bin hire darra

    By Blogger Bina Simon, at 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home