.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Bad Weather, No School and a Haircut

Friday morning I drove my son to school to find no one there. We'd had severe weather the night before, including tornadoes.

I called work to advise them I wouldn't be there, and then set off to buy my son some shoes, and get him a haircut.

We had to wait 20 minutes before they could cut his hair. He at this point began to, by his behavior anyway, edge over the abyss of death. When I irritably asked what was wrong, he claimed he was going to die of thirst any second.

I told him we'd get lunch after his hair cut. But no.. that wouldn't do. Surely by that time he'd have dried up, withered away, and have perished. *sigh. I fished a buck twenty-five out of my purse and bought him a soda.

He got his hair cut; I paid, and we headed off to lunch. I'd forgotten that I'd not activated my new debit card until we were in line to pay. I dug through my purse in search of cash. I was 98 CENTS short.

As we walked out the door my son looked at me and said in a reproving tone, "If you hadn't bought that drink we would have had enough money for lunch."

Grrrr...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home