.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Friday, October 14, 2005

Sometimes you gotta love

southern men.

A female coworker and I got on the elevator to go home at 4:25 pm as usual today. We were chatting idly waiting for the doors to close when a 30-something man stepped on. He excused himself for walking between us while we were talking and stood at the back of the elevator.

He says, "Excuse me for interrupting, are either of you going to the bank?" (My company has a credit union downstairs that closes at 4:30.)

We both replied that we weren't.

He continues, "If you wouldn't mind terribly, can I bolt off (the elevator) when we get to 1st floor? There are only a few minutes before they close."

We assure him it is no problem. "Oh no, go right ahead." and "By all means"

He goes on to say, "Thank you very much. My father would roll over in his grave if I hadn't asked. To rudely stride past two such lovely ladies without holding the door... unthinkable."

Those kinds of statements trigger something in a woman raised in the south. I found myself batting my eyelashes and thanking him for asking. It was a real Gone With The Wind moment.

So CNN.. how do ya like that? Chivalry is not dead, just in cryogenic suspension in most places.

3 Comments:

  • How cool! I hope you caught him and put him in a jar. Punch holes in top, though, so he can breathe.

    By Blogger Silly Old Bear, at 10:28 PM  

  • Amazingly enough, I've caught myself one of those chivalrous types too. I don't plan on letting him go anytime soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:32 AM  

  • My man is a real charmer, its probably half of why i put up with the way it is! Have a lovely weekend

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home