.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Monday, March 07, 2005

Family

It means a lot of things to people. For many it is a final oasis of sanity, safety, love and comfort; for some it is a burden to be endured.

For me it can be all of those things. It is often my source of strife and worry. Well, mom’s side anyway.

My sister is in the hospital ward of her county jail right now. Her no good boyfriend failed his probation required urine test and dropped her off at her fathers house Friday night as he began his run from the law.

By all accounts she doesn’t weigh more than 75 lbs. She can’t remember the last time she ate. She’s been staying up doing various drugs for god only knows how long. Pills to go to sleep and cocaine all day.

Her father called the police. The cops show up and my sister did what she does best, she pulled a drama queen. Screaming, cursing like a harpy, she threw her coke and pills on the cop. That, of course, got her arrested.

The family has a hearing scheduled to have her involuntarily committed. I am not going to be there. I can’t take the time off work to go. And in the end, my being there would be neither beneficial nor detrimental.

She’s in the hospital at the moment due to severe malnutrition. I hope she gets better. I hope she gets clean, and stays clean.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home