.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, October 16, 2004

13 hours

I've had 13 hours to come to grips with my grandfather's death. Yeah, I get it. He's gone.

I spent most of the day here at the house playing operator. I was something of a central hub. My brother, mother, father, etc would call for updates on plans and I'd tell them everything I knew to date.

I still feel a bit out of it. I bit vague, a bit dim. Talking with my brother it became obvious that grandma and grandpa's adopted 13 yr old daughter is refusing to deal with the fact that he is gone.

She was there, she saw him on the couch, she KNOWS he's passed into the clearing but is very likely repressing it. She greeted all visitors today in her normal cheerful way, played outside with her friends, and in short acted like nothing is wrong. Now, before you think she just may not really care.. I know that's not the case. I feel for her. The only father she's ever known is gone. I can't imagine it.

My mother shocked me to the core when I called to see if she wanted to get/do anything. She asked me to give my brother directions to the liquor store. It was so off base I just could not compute the words. I asked her to repeat herself and she said "Well, all the people that drink are going to be coming to my house. I figure the cheapest way to go about it is to get a keg".

WTF!?! You've got to be shitten me! Right? No, she was serious. I called her back a few hours later to let her know they'd decided to transport him back to our home town where we have a family cemetery to be buried there. Her response "I guess we won't need the keg then".. nothing about travel arrangements, flowers, cards, just "I guess we wont need the keg then". I was speechless.

My grandmother has an appointment with the funeral home tomorrow at 2 in Jax FL. They are hoping to have the funeral Tuesday morning. I'll be calling my boss tomorrow to let him know so I can make it.

In the mean time I've told everyone to elect a new central hub for the night. I've put in my overtime. I just want to go to bed. Not because I'm tired, just so I can get away from it all.

(on a side note: I did take my son to see Shark Tale today. He enjoyed it. It was on ok movie. But then again I had alot on my mind and wasn't paying too much attention)

8 Comments:

  • I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

    Cheers...

    By Blogger hyelbaine, at 2:18 AM  

  • *hugs* Jen, I know there is never a magic word at this time to take away the pain. Just know that we are all here for you if you need us.

    By Blogger JustSue, at 8:57 AM  

  • *Hugs*, as many as you want and need, *hugs*

    By Blogger Amanda, at 1:55 PM  

  • sorry to hear about your loss.
    Take care,

    ken

    www.lsblogs.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM  

  • I don't really know you, but I do feel sorry for your loss.

    By Blogger Pierce Ranger, at 1:43 AM  

  • As Dr. McCoy said in Star Trek II and as the little boy said to David Banner at the end of the Incredible Hulk episode "Married", "Nobody ever dies, as long as someone remembers them."

    I mean ... check this out ... my paternal grandfather died in 1975 and some idle remarks he made on a reel-to-reel tape to my dad in 1965 are having profound influence on Malaysian English in the 21st century.

    By Blogger Axinar, at 12:55 PM  

  • Jenn remember all those moments in time, the smiles they evoke, the smells to remember, the sounds surrounding them......ok I won't blame u if you forget the fish smell....share them with James..share them with anyone like us who will listen.....I am sorry for your loss. Your memories always stay alive...hugs my friend..

    By Blogger Moon, at 8:59 PM  

  • Jenn, you, James and the rest of your family are in my thoughts. I am so very sorry for your loss hon.

    By Blogger Anna, at 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home