.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Math and Music

I've made a very happy discovery tonight. My son, who has dyslexia, is very good at addition. I gave him a page of 30 simple single digit addition and he completed all of them (correctly) in less than 5 mins. I am thrilled.

I am an avid reader and it has been disheartening to me to struggle through sentences like Tab is a cat. Tab can run and play. I've worked with him almost constantly since his dyslexia was diagnosed almost 2 yrs ago. His penmanship is still atrocious. He's in first grade (I held him back in Kindergarten an extra year) and can barely write his name legibly.

So, his love of and aptitude for math especially encourage me. I was a math geek too lol.

But, even as I'm typing I can hear him in the shower. Singing. Badly. Whoever said math and music go hand and hand clearly did not get to hear this warbling rendition of various childhood songs. But I can't help but smile. The noise coming from the bathroom sounds very much like a seagull gargling with peanut butter.

But, he's mine. And, I'm proud of him. I'm proud of what we've accomplished. I'm a mom. Life is good.

2 Comments:

  • I had a friend when I was growing up who was very dyslexic. She learned to read, but rarely did, because she said it was so hard for her to do. It gave her a headache. What she became REALLY good at was memorization. She's really very bright, and was able to find ways to learn even while avoiding reading. She graduated from college and is working for a large company now. Hang in there.

    By Blogger Kitzi, at 8:49 PM  

  • My sister is dyslexic ..she almost became a math teacher but opted to follow something she loved more...yes she is the sister that is now our countries official photographer...go figure eh...its all doable..

    By Blogger Moon, at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home