.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

It's always darkest just before the power goes out!

The remnants of hurricane Francis came through last night and knocked central Georgia on it's butt. We had severe wind and rain. Trees are down everywhere. It was a miracle the one down in my yard didn't land on the house.

Needless to say I have no power. (I'm at my brother's house at the moment) The power went out about 1am last night. I figured I'd take my shower in the morning. Nope! Still no power. So, I was forced to go to work w/ no bath, yuck! When I called the power company they said it would be at least 24 hrs before service was restored. Later today they changed that to 1 to 6 DAYS before power is restored. WTF? Seems 2/3 of 'our' fleet of power employees were sent down to help in Florida.

Not to sound un-charitable.. but hello! I'm the one paying the bill HERE. I should have power. So it goes. No power means no water. We have a well and w/out power to work the pump we are dry as a bone. In fact, the municipal water supply is contaminated so I'm not missing out on much. The schools are all closed. There is no ice or bottled water to be found. It's a madhouse in my area.

I am still going on my trip. In fact I just printed my boarding passes and reservation confirmations. The adopted grandparents will still be keeping my son while I'm gone. They have made arrangements to get a generator if needed. God bless them!

I'm going to try to go in to work in the morning. So this will likely be my last post for some time. I'm not sure how much internet access I'll have in Canada. Fear not... I'm sure I'll bore you sufficiently with pics and stories when I get back.

Y'all have fun while I'm gone. And if anything interesting happens, for goodness sake leave me an offline lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home