.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Trade ya lick for lick

*get your minds out of the gutter lol. This is a family friendly post.


Most of my family is in Florida. I called around today to make sure everyone was safe. My sister is fairly close to strike zone. She's going to a friend's house for the weekend at my urging.

She talked to my son for a bit on the phone before he went back to playing. When she got me back on the phone, we talked about how fast they grow up etc.

She told me she was eating ice cream and in a moment of nostalgia I said "I'll trade you lick for lick". She about choked on the ice cream. She'd not thought of that simple sentence in years. I was the oldest of the 5 of mom's kids. When we got treats, even something as simple as fruit, it was rare we all had the same kind/flavor. So, we would 'trade lick for lick or bite for bite'. You'd get to sample the other flavor while promising they'd get to try your's.

Now in our germ-phobia world, most parents would be aghast at that practice. Back then it just kept the peace. Mom didn't care!

We talked, for awhile, about our childhood years. She asked if I remembered the time I broke up a fight between her and her brother by saying "If you don't stop fighting I'm gonna rip your arm off and beat him to death with it" We all found it so funny that they immediately made up. It was no idle threat however lol. As the oldest I was charged with keeping the peace at all times. Mom worked nights and slept during the day.. GOD FORBID you wake her up.

I guess this is why, even today, the kids come to me with their problems, wishes, thoughts, and needs. (I say kids.. they are 24, 22, 21, and 16. They will always be "The Kids" to me.) Sometimes, being the matriarch of the family is a burden. But, the rewards have been great at times. Every time one of them thanks me for this or that bit of advice I gave them 5 or 10 yrs ago that helped them... every crazy memory we have.. the fun we had.. Yes, there are rewards.

1 Comments:

  • That lick for lick really sounds familiar...

    I was the eldest of the two (one of us had to be) and still I remember we would choose different flavors and trade lick for lick, bite for bite or piece for piece.

    And of course, the elder one is charged with the law enforcement too :) luckily we had not heard of any miranda rights... not luckily, if you ask my brother.

    Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

    By Blogger Pierce Ranger, at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home