.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Raisins

I tell ya what, there are alot of things in this world I don't do well. But one thing I can do is make world class oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm talking grandma quality cookies here! One day I'll have a porch full of grandkids clamoring for my oatmeal raisin cookies. They will look back when I'm gone and say "I'd cheerfully maim someone for a plate of grandma's oatmeal raisin cookies"

Sadly, my beau will not appreciate these gastric morsels of heavenly delight. He doesn't like raisins. How can you not like raisins? But hey.. Woo Hoo.. more for me and the kiddies!

Now before Betty Crocker starts having seizures let me state for the record, I make the worlds crappiest sugar cookie. I've tried probably a hundred times to make a sugar cookie fit for human consumption and can NOT do it. Even with a recipe. I suck!

When I was about 13 and my cousin about 16 we would sometimes get up in the middle of the night and challenge ourselves to finally make a decent sugar cookie. My brothers and sisters were all very young and we, my cousin and I, did most of the cooking since my mother worked nights. So, we invariably tried to make sugar cookies. Again, and again, and again, following recipes with such precision that NASA would have been proud of our measuring skills. It reached a point that it was a personal challenge to make the damn things.

You know you've made a bad batch of cookies when 4 kids, ages 1 to 9 yrs, start crying at the mere mention of sugar cookies. Our cookies were so bad the DOG wouldn't eat them. The birds avoided them as if they were some oddly mutated and potentially radioactive form of avian plague pellets. They were paper thin, dry as grave dust, and about as tasty. I feel badly for the torture we inflicted on my poor siblings as the official taste testing crew.

But hey.. I can make some "cream your pants, dance in the aisle, speak in tongues" good Oatmeal Raisin Cookies...

2 Comments:

  • LOL i cant help but be glad to know that i am not the only one in the world who doesnt like raisins. Totally anti-raisin. So when my dad wants oatmean raisin cookies, i make a seperate batch of just oatmeal cookies. Also ive never got sugar cookies right either.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 9:48 PM  

  • I always loved to try cooking many things when I was younger.. I'm surprised my brother survived his childhood.. lol If it was in the kitchen I put it in something just to find out how it tasted.. Of course I didn't taste it first...*Big Grin*

    By Blogger Love, at 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home