.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

A paper kiss

Where does the time go? It seems I just had my son. Now, he's four and a half feet tall, and 7 years old!

My son has never been in formal daycare. I've always had a family friend keep him, so he didn't have alot of exposure to large groups of kids. He was very nervous about his first day of school 2 years ago. So, I cut out a small heart shaped piece of card stock, put on lipstick and left a kiss mark. I covered it with tape to keep the lipstick from smearing and dropped him off at school with a "kiss" in his pocket.

It seemed to help him. His teacher at the time sent a note home saying that it was very creative. She'd seen him take it out of his pocket and look at it when he was distracted or overwhelmed.

Fast forward to today. I was discussing w/ my son his impending return to school in 9 days. He was not pleased to hear his freedom was coming to an end. He doesn't like school. We struggle with his reading and handwriting due to dyslexia. As we talked about the fun he would have at school and how much he'd like seeing his friends again he became quiet. He is never quiet.. lol I asked what he was thinking about. He said, "Momma, can you give me another kiss in my pocket?" Come on ladies say it with me... AWWWW My heart melted and I grabbed him up on my lap and told him of course I would.

Some days you are reminded why it's all worth while. We played Yahtzee, and read, and had dinner as usual tonight. I sit here and am pleased. I'm doing ok by him. He's a good kid. He knows I love him. And he's still my little boy, or at least little enough to want a kiss in his pocket. Thank God...

1 Comments:

  • AWWWWW, I want a kiss in my pocket too

    By Blogger Anna, at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home