.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Insomnia, and 3 Seasons of TV

I've had severe insomnia, meaning I spend weeks, sometimes months, not sleeping more than 2-4 hours a night, for close to 20 years.

One thing most people don't know is that I do not watch television. Oh, I know you've heard that before, but I might watch 1 or 2 hours of TV in a month. And that only while I was passing through rooms at my mother's house, or out of politeness at some other relatives. I've never seen or wanted to a single episode of American Idol, the last Doctor I can remember watching on TV was Quincy, and the last series I liked was "that 70's show" which I stopped watching in it's third year.

When I hear of a TV series that I would have (I say "would have" because I almost never watch it when it's on TV) liked, I'll try to get an entire season of episodes to watch. That way if I do like it I'm not stranded and jones'n for the next episode, but if I don't like it.. Well, I'm not really committed.

My husband has tipped me off to several programs I've LOVED. A few others have pointed me to a few more.
Sadly, between stress and insomnia I've watched 24 episodes of a British comedy in the last.. hmm.. 4 days?!. Yeah, four days. You also have to take into account the fact I ONLY watch them between (roughly) midnight and six AM. It's even more ironic that it is me, the person who doesn't watch TV.

So where do my "sleep" hours go? I get home at 5 pm, supervise homework, feed and water the pets, and my son, of course. Then it's time for his bath, laundry and getting ready for the next day. My son goes to bed at 9:30 PM. I usually call my husband around 10 PM my time (8 PM his) We talk until 11 or 11:30, sometimes later, sometimes sooner.. but it averages out to about midnight by the time I find my bed.

Sleep, however, is an odd, and very elusive, deceptive and tricky thing. For months sometimes, I can only catch it my hand for only 1 or 2 hours a day. Sometimes, for a change I'll wake up every 30 mins to an hour, afraid every time I wake up that I've missed the alarm clock and will be or are late fore work. (woo-friken-hoo) A few times a year I'll sleep for 12 - 15 hours a day for 2 or 3 days. None of the results are satisfying, and I end up, at Seven AM to wake my son up and we start our day.

So .. we are at the title explanation.

As much as I've enjoyed this comedy series, I've watched all that I can for awhile. When this season is released I'll probably watch it, but for now it is much like masturbation.

I like the concept of it, but it has no more surprises. I've seen all the scenes currently available. I know all the twists and turns. All dramatic tension, and surprises are now known.

For the moment, all I can do is repeat what I already know. But, eventually one of two things will happen:

1. Either this year's season of the series will be released on DVD
or (pray for us)
2. I join my husband (May the Gods and the Canadian Government be willing). Then I shouldn't need TV or self indulgence.

2 Comments:

  • I know insomnia pretty well too hon but damn 24 episodes in 4 days! That's really bad.

    I hope it passes soon, at least to the point where you can get more than a few hours a night.

    *hugs*

    By Blogger Anna, at 6:04 AM  

  • A great series that we got hooked on was (6 FEET UNDER)...We didn't get it here so we rented the 1st season and got hooked...I got my mom hooked and a few friends. I still have season 4 and 5 to see. I think they finished after 5. We usually watch them in the summer because there's not much on tv then lol. I enjoy evening tv but even given that I am home all the time, I rarely turn the tv on untill around 4pm, or later. I hate date time tv lol.

    By Blogger Moon, at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home