.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Worried

My father called last night to tell me my grandmother has cancer. They are going to be running tests next week to see how bad it is. We don't have a timeline at this point.

Please no..

For much of my growing up she was the only woman in my life. My father was a single father at a time when that was unheard of. She would pick me up from day care and we'd play Uno, Hearts, and Rummy. We'd watch Star Trek. We'd cook and clean together until dad got home from work.

Please no..

She's already said she wont have chemo, radiation, or surgery. She's ready to go. She's lived a good and full life. Her husband, the only grandfather I ever knew (on dad's side anyway), passed away 5 years ago.

ugh.. hasn't enough happened in my family lately. All we can do is hope and pray. I hope ...

7 Comments:

  • It's rough ... I know ...

    My grandmother was terminal for precisely four days.

    It seems like a flash in the pan now but at the time it seemed like a century.

    What I found quite remarkable was that, although I cannot say it was completely without some significant pain, she was never afraid.

    In complete 20/20 hindsight I can tell it was the bravest thing I ever saw anyone do.

    By Blogger Axinar, at 1:13 AM  

  • Our deepest and most heart-felt thoughts are with you.

    -G

    By Blogger DementedPhotographer, at 9:19 AM  

  • ((((HUGS)))) to you. I'm so sorry.

    By Blogger Nickle Annie, at 9:28 AM  

  • Oh, my God.

    I am so, so sorry. You poor thing. You have been through so much already.

    I don't know what to say. I'm sorry.

    By Blogger smizzo, at 7:14 PM  

  • I never have words for these moments which frustrates me over the net; there's no place for silent support. But anyway, I'm here, and relating. My mother called lastnight to tell me grandfather was in the hospital (unknown heart issue so far), and the staff refused her entry because she's currently going through chemo... it's just a mess. And I am asking the same question, including you in it, haven't we had enough?

    By Blogger Justice, at 7:45 PM  

  • You have my prayers and thoughts. I wish there was more that I could offer you.

    By Blogger Me, at 12:46 PM  

  • Jenn,

    I'm sorry hon. There are a lot of people who keep you and your family in their heart and prayers. We love you.

    By Blogger Anna, at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home