.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Did I say that?

I've been in Georgia way, way too long (almost 11 years). My once impeccable enunciation, and vocabulary (aka I could talk well) has suffered a slow creep of the Georgia accent.

I actually said: Swole up

As in, My son was stung by a bee, and his hand was "swole up". (ugh)

My son, who was born here, is hopeless.. He sounds more like Jeff Foxworthy's kid than mine. He sounds like that guy in the big bass fishing/NASCAR/Budwiser shirt they NEVER fail to show on the news after a tornado has been through a trailer park.

An example: One of his spelling words last night was "When"

Me: James, make a sentence using "when" and spell the word.

Son: You caint (can't with a long A) bring a when-meal (wind mill) enter (into) skool (there is no ch.. it's a hard K in school).

Me: Uh no.. that's a wind-mill.

Son: Oh well, what word are you try-un to say?

Me: I'm not trying. I'm saying. The word is "when", as in "when we move to civilization I hope you lose this accent"

Son: Ok. W-h-e-n spells when, rieght? (he somehow makes right into a two syllable word)

Me: Yes, son.. (cue the sound of redneck accent defeat)

1 Comments:

  • That is a funny story. I once had a friend move out to Georgia, and I swear he was fully assimilated within a 2 week period of time.

    Brought back good memories.

    By Blogger Me, at 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home