.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Saturday, December 25, 2004

The ties that bind.. and gag

Family... You have to love them. I mean HAVE to. I just don't like them too much.

Mom called and invited me to her house to quote "get drunk". I begged off. In fact I told her I quit drinking. Considering how rarely I drink now I don't really see that as a lie. One of my aunts, her boyfriend, and a friend of my (now deceased) brother are sitting around w/ mom and her hubby getting trashed. I give it 5 to 1 odds that it's gonna end up either : 1. a huge fight or 2. a sob-fest.

Mom thinks I need to socialize more. *eye roll* She doesn't seem to understand that what she considers social I consider drug and alcohol abuse. C'est la vie.

Tomorrow my son and I will go to grandma's for dinner. That presents it's own set of challenges. Mom's family comes in 2 classes. Drunken.. or rabidly religious. We are having dinner with people that are just a few degrees away from dancing with rattlesnakes. It's going to be.. uh.. interesting.

This will be the first Christmas without grandpa. For that reason alone I'd go to grandma's for dinner. The fact that my brother also died 2 months ago .. well I think a family get together is needed (if a bit foolhardy).

In other news:

All this freaking stress is killing me. I have more blackheads than an Usher concert. Gak. MUST use mud mask before dinner.

All the gifts are laid out. Santa has been here tonight. Tomorrow the loot.. bring on the loot!! Or so my 7 yr old son sees it.

Our landlord/adopted grandparent/friend had a small stroke a few days ago. He is out of the hospital today, so my son is over there taking care of him. I have a good kid. Really .. I do.

I hope you all have a great holiday.. happiness, love, and a banking error in your favor.

I love you Les. G'night all.

5 Comments:

  • MERRY X-MAS!

    cheers :)
    sarah
    http://www.tabulas.com/~shireen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 AM  

  • Here we are Christmas morning! I am fashionably attired for the event (dressing gown and slippers) with a hot cup of tea in hand...waiting for a certain 17 year old to waken so that we can go and open presents. What a far cry from just a few years ago when a little blonde haired tyke would run into the bedroom - wide-eyed with excitement, shrieking "Santa's Been!" Here is wishing you joy, peace and love ...and if he doesn't wake up soon, I may just have to go rushing into his room and bounce on his bed! [muhahaha - ahem, I mean ho ho ho]

    By Blogger JustSue, at 7:47 AM  

  • Some of my family socializes in those peculiar ways too. I'll be visiting them early this afternoon, before the Xmas cheer starts flowing. You have to love 'em.

    By Blogger Salsguy, at 11:12 AM  

  • I haven't spent a christmas with my family (parents or siblings) in over 22 years. That is the price payed for living across the country. I have grown used to it but I do think of them and often remember christmas eve's past. Our tradition was always midnight on the eve that we all opened the gifts. Often up till all hours in the night with food and family , examining our goodies and checking out what others god. I miss them all but I have made my own family now and we do the same thing. I have been blessed and I am thankfull for those who surround me now . I am also thankful for those I call friends and I wish for them a very happy holiday season. With love I send you hugs ....0x0x0x

    By Blogger Moon, at 11:29 AM  

  • Merry Christmas Jenn!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home