.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Letters to Nowhere

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Let freedom ring!

WOO HOO!! It is here.. the one week a year I long for. This is why I love summer!

I am child free for the next 8 glorious days. I can do anything I want to. I can walk naked through the house at all hours, I can play my music as loud as I want, I can chat without interruption, I can go a whole week without having to do laundry or dishes!

Now this would be a great time to indulge in some serious debauchery. However, the only person I want to ravish me is not here.. *sniff* .. Oh well.. I can still walk around naked!

James will be enjoying the sunny beaches of St. Augustine, Florida with my landlords/babysitters/adopted grandparents. Its hard to describe them. Thank God for Shirley and Harold. They've saved our lives a time or two. But anyway... I love St. Augustine. We went often when I was young. The beaches are stunning, the Spanish archetecute... its great. James likes it for the Alligator farm, beaches, and the Ripley's believe it or not museum. Their advertising slogan I saw on a billboard one day was great. "28 miles of snow white beaches.. and the rest is history"

A bit of formal history:

Established as a city in 1565, this is the oldest permanent European settlement in the continental U.S. -- it was founded 42 years before the English colonized Jamestown, 45 years before the Spanish established Santa Fe and 55 years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.

On the waterfront near the Old City is the Castillo De San Marcos National Monument, a Spanish fortress built in the late 1600s. It's all but impregnable: The walls are about 14 ft/4 m thick at the base and made of local shellrock -- look for the tiny shells in the walls. (This is impressive! It's made from shellrock.. the shells are at most 1/2 inch across each.)

The old Spanish sector still has alot of the original stores set in narrow grid street fashion and you can buy ANYTHING there. I always loved the armory. You could go in the morning and watch the master sword-smith work at the forge making swords, helmets and body armor. Not far away is the fabled Fountain of Youth that Ponce De Leon was searching for. The water tastes terrible.. alot of sulfur in it. And since he is dead.. clearly it has no real mystical or anti aging powers LOL. There's a wax museum, an old Spanish military hospital and prison (some of the exhibits from those two are GRISLY.. brrrr)

So what will I be doing while my son is getting tanned and educated.. NOTHING!! Yay! Walking around naked.. Basking in quiet.. Going for drives at 3 am if I feel like it. I can almost pretend I'm a carefree teen again... Now if only I didn't have to work.. and had some money I could be dangerous LOL


1 Comments:

  • Woo Hoo Enjoy it while ya can girly...I dhall live vicariously thru you for the next 8 days ;)

    By Blogger The Witch Doctor, at 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home